Good evening fellow gamers, hobbyists and internet fiends!
Tonight we have a very special interview with YouTube painting and modelling ninja; Templars Crusade 01 .
For those of you who haven’t yet encountered this fella, I suggest you go and have a good look around his channel (or Facebook page) because the stuff he does is just sensational. He’s made a shed load of really helpful videos for any hobbyist – novice or veteran – to make use of and help inspire some ideas. We caught up with him at the Forge World open day in April this year and discussed everything from poor Spud Tate (who couldn’t make it) to the merits of Badger airbrushes – we then decided to do a little Q+A for everyone to find out a bit more about the guy behind the lens with the resin fetish. 😀
- What age were you when you made your first model? And what was it? Blimey, I think I was about 12 back in the day when minis came on hexagon bases and they cost 50p.
- How did you get into wargaming, model making and painting? I’ve always enjoyed making models. I use to rip apart our TV’s and radios as a kid, it use to drive my folks barmy. I used the parts to make space ships and bases for my soldiers. Then I kind of progressed into model aeroplanes and tanks.
- Do you play Warhammer 40K exclusively, or do you play any other systems? Well Funny you should say that, I play 30k lol but I do play 40k, I’ve just started collecting Tau, yes yes I know. Tau, but the models are something special, really like them ; ) I have a huge Heresy Imperial Fist army and the starts of the Mechanicus for my Titans ; ) But I did buy Flames of War at the Grumpy Old Wargamers Convention. I’m quite excited about playing it!
- How long have you been using YouTube to demonstrate and showcase your techniques and models? Wow, YouTube, well it’s been now almost four and a half years? It started off as a way of meeting people and learning from other channels, and evolved from there.
- Did you think you would ever get as many subscribers and fans on YouTube and Face book? Ooh I do hate the word fan…I’m blown away that people find my channel interesting enough to watch the vids and subscribe to my channel. I mean it’s been awesome and I’ve made some great friends. YouTube is a fantastic way of learning skills, I’ve always been a strong believer in what you TAKE, YOU give back… That way people keep the skill and hobby alive, passing on their knowledge to others. I’m often asked, how do you get more subscribers? Not many people watch my vids! I always reply, build it and they will come lol meaning, don’t threat too much about your channel, if people enjoy your vids and get something from it, they will subscribe. I don’t freak out any more about thumbs down; to be fair it’s pointless. The best thing you can do is, do your channel for you and if people like it, they will jump on your train and enjoy the ride with you!
- I follow you on Twitter, but you don’t tweet much. You should! There’s a big community of hobbyists that use Twitter and they are always after painting or modelling tips. Have you considered using Twitter as well as Face book and YouTube? Ah, Twitter…..Anyone that knows me, will tell you that I’m a technophobe! Last year, I went through three computers, two cameras and a mobile phone or two. I’m like Sam Neill’s character in Jurassic Park or an EMP Grenade! I’m the Nemeses to Tech, fear me! So what were we talking about? Oh yeah Twitter! I do tweet sometimes, I should tweet more, but my day is spent with paper work and models in the evening. So Yeah, I should tweet more 😉
- What camera do you use to film your videos? Oh damn! Ummmm I started off with an apple mobile phone, and then moved onto a Panasonic HD, I broke both of those! Now I use a work camera, big thingy with HD and wide screen blah blah. I have no idea what it’s called. lol
- From watching your videos, I know you get sent a lot of materials and paints to use – have you stopped buying them yourself now? 🙂 Ha you’d think that wouldn’t you! No I still buy stuff, I’m lucky to have people in companies that see the benefit of social media, and like me or my work. I tend to still spend a couple of hundred a month on spray cans and materials. But the odd freebie here and there helps : )
- I see you did get the Tau Orca eventually even though they had none at the Forge World Open Day – when will we see the finished model? Do you know what I love that model! I was so excited to get it! It’s almost done! Just the underneath to do now, so maybe next month! I have 35 GW and FW tiles to paint up and a palace board to do as well ; )
- I can’t believe you swapped your Raven Guard! 🙂 Will you do anymore of them now or is that it? That’s it lol I know I’m dreadful! I get really excited about projects, something will pop into my head and I’ll jump on it. I try not to have more than six projects happening at any one time to stop me from getting bored!
- Fellblade or Baneblade? FELL BLADE!
- Calgar or Lysander? Lysander!
- Abaddon or Loken? Loken, his story is tragic and beautiful to read!
- What’s your favourite model? AH, man……. Ouch! Okay to this day I have to say it’s the Reaver Titan. I love titans, but the Reaver is a special model, it’s just HUGE! And when it’s on the battlefield its devastating!
- Favourite paint or paint manufacturer? Okay it’s the Minitaire range, the Raven Black is so rich in pigment and deep! I never thought I could get so excited over paint, but this range has been something special. And I’m not just saying that, it’s been a pleasure!
- Do you ever take commissions? No, I won’t do commissions, I do get asked and I’m happy to point people in the direction of excellent people. But I like to paint for me, where’s the fun in doing it for other people? That sounds too much like work! If I did it would probably zap the fun out of the hobby for me, Blimey, just doing my own stuff takes up my evenings where would I fit in commissions? lol
- Do you have any tips for anyone who wants to start a channel of their own? Plenty of lighting speak clearly, focus in on the model, don’t it for yourself, not to gain fame. And remember have fun ; ) So many people get stressed about gaining subscribers and thumbs down, that they forget about what matters, it’s the model making, sharing your talents and skills, meeting new people and learning from others to keep the hobby alive.
- Which do you enjoy more: Painting models or making them? You can include kit bashing in that. Ummm. It’s got to be all of it, I find painting really relaxing, but I love kit bashing and model making! I had a stroke last year, you can’t really tell, I was very lucky and thanks to the quick reactions of a friend I was rushed to hospital. But, believe it or not the painting and model making has helped me loads with sequencing and speaking. Even though my memory is a bit naff, and you can see it in videos, when I forget the name of something or what it does. Model making has helped me loads, so to answer the question, I like it all!
- I know you’re a big Space Marine fan and collector do you have a favourite chapter and Primarch? Rogal Dorn, and the Imperial Fist. Even though I started with Black Templars, the Imperial Fist capture everything I admire about the space marine legions and Rogal Dorn in the lightning tower story is excellent, showing the fearful side to his strong stalwart nature!
- How long until we get to see the Siege of Terra video? October, a three day event of war and destruction!
- Why do you have so many problems with Purity Seal? Is there a product you’d recommend instead? Lol It hates me! Trouble is a store my cans next to an outside wall so when it’s cold, I tend to get frosting on my models. Warm up the cans Brian! I use Humbrol now.
- When did you first start using an airbrush? I’ve used airbrushes for years in the film industry, but they were huge! Only a year ago, I got into using badgers and have really enjoyed them. Okay I only use them for base coating and camoing up my tanks but that’s okay….Isn’t it? lol
- Do you prefer airbrushing to hand painting? Ummm this is a two edged sword, I like painting with a brush it seems skilful and you get a wonderful feeling of achievement. But an airbrush is an art in its self, which is a constant learning process!
- Are you going to Games Day this year? AM I EVER! Its the greatest day for any GW fan!
Big thanks to Templars Crusade 01 (Brian to his mates and the Queen) for taking the time out to do this and if you still haven’t trotted over to his channel, DO SO now! 🙂
Cheers for reading,